Northern Territory Water Restrictions and Approved Products
Power and Water - Darwin Northern Territory
Currently No Restrictions
Territorians use more than twice the amount of water as the rest of Australia, perhaps thinking we have abundant rain in the Top End. However, the Northern Territory isn’t immune to changing weather patterns and our increasing population in recent years is placing greater demand on water resources.
On average, sixty per cent of a Northern Territory household’s water use is in the garden. So, the backyard is a great place to start when considering how you can cut back.
Tips for saving water at home
Save water outside your home by:
- Wash the car on the lawn, use a trigger nozzle, rather than watering your cement. Same goes for the dog and bike.
- Fix a dripping tap immediately. One drip per second wastes 30 litres of water a day.
- Water your garden at night or early in the morning when less water evaporates - and don't water when it’s been raining or is very windy.
- Use a tap timer, so you don't forget to turn the watering system off.
- Don't mow your lawn too short. If the roots are shaded less water will evaporate.
- Mulch your garden beds. Mulch increases your garden's moisture retention and adds to the nutrient content.
- Choose plant species native to your area, they will be more tolerant to the weather conditions.
- Try to put plants with the same watering requirements together to make planning your watering and irrigation easier.
Save water inside your home by:
- Cut your shower time down to four minutes.
- Convert to a water efficient shower head.
- Install a water efficient dual flush toilet.
- Sweep your driveway instead of hosing.
- Use a 5-star water efficient washing machine and other water efficient appliances.
- Reduce the time you water your garden from one hour to only 30 minutes a day.
Source: More information on State Water Restrictions can be found on the Australian Bureau of Meteorology website.
Dural Irrigation supports efficient watering irrigation systems. We are one of the largest smart watering advocates in the country. Below you will find products approved by your local government agency.
- Admin SEO